A few years ago MAG created an outline and sources for Medical Advisor training at discounted prices at certain universities and institutions. However, the uptake was poor and led to an administrative burden regarding updating that information. Although most training would be on-the-job experience, we still get the occasional query from those new to the industry, so we would recommend the following avenues of training. A web search from the various universities and institutions should provide current resources for these. Note also some of the available courses are also web-based or distance learning opportunities.
- Health system regulatory framework (including MSA legislation) and provider and medical scheme landscape. Sources here would be Council for Medical Schemes (including trustee training programme), HPCSA, Department of Health, Hospital Association of South Africa, SAMA, PTCMA
- Business administration: economics and financial management, marketing, human resources and industrial relations, operations management, statistics.
- ICD-10 coding
- Case Management – Case Manager Association of South Africa
- Evidence-based medicine
- Health technology assessment
- Ethics in healthcare and business
- Clinical and research/evidence resources – a vast range of local and international web-based resources are available.